Combining strength training and cardio
Combining strength training and cardio can be very effective for achieving a variety of fitness goals. Here are some of the benefits and recommendations for combining these types of workouts:
Benefits of combining strength training and cardio:
- Increase overall physical activity: Combination workouts allow you to activate different aspects of your fitness including strength, endurance and cardiorespiratory function.
- Calorie burning: Cardio workouts promote increased calorie burning, which can help you manage your weight.
- Improved cardiorespiratory system: Cardio strengthens your heart and lungs, increasing your endurance and aerobic capacity.
- Muscle strengthening: Strength training builds muscle mass and strengthens your joints, which helps prevent injuries and keep you healthy.
- Variety: Combining strength training and cardio makes the training process more interesting and varied.
Recommendations for combining strength training and cardio:
- Distribution of workouts: You can distribute your workouts on different days (e.g. strength training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and cardio on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday) or combine them in one workout (e.g. high-intensity functional training with both strength and cardio components).
- Build goals: Decide on specific goals: whether you want to increase muscle mass, lose weight, improve endurance, or achieve more general fitness. Your goals will help determine the best combination of strength and cardio training.
- Take recovery into account: Give your body time to recover between intense workouts. Recovery includes sleep, proper nutrition, and relaxation.
- Approaches to training: Use different methods of strength training (e.g., classic approaches, functional training, Crossfit) and cardio (running, cycling, swimming, HIIT) to make your workout more varied.
- Load control: It’s important not to overload and to monitor how you feel during your workouts. If you experience pain or discomfort, consult a trainer or physical activity specialist.
A combination of strength training and cardio can be most effective when it is tailored to your individual goals and physical fitness. It is best to consult a trainer or fitness professional to develop the best exercise programme for you.